Monday 9 June 2014

R.I.P Rik Mayall.



"Other people get moody in their forties and fifties - men get the male menopause. I missed the whole thing. I was just really happy!"



I am so sad and gutted to hear that Rik Mayall has passed away at the age of 56. If you don't know, Rik Mayall was a legendary English comedian, writer and actor. He is best known for his comedy partnership with Adrian Edmondson, his manic, lively and over-the-top portrayal of characters and was one of the comedians who established alternative comedy in the early 1980s. He has appeared in many sitcoms including The Young Ones, The New Statesman, Bottom and Blackadder. He also appeared in big screen comedies such as Drop Dead Fred and Guest House Paradiso.
He was absolutely phenomenal in his line of work and stole every scene he was in whatever the sitcom was. In 2005, he was voted among the top 50 comedy performers of all time and placed 91st in the 2010 poll of Top 100 Stand-Up Comedians. Now I will admit I wasn't even born during Mayall's era of brilliance and was too young to appreciate his more recent works. However, thanks to the older generations in my family like my dad and my mum, I was able to watch re-runs of Bottom and Blackadder both which I thoroughly enjoyed and cried laughing at. Thankfully, I was able to take pleasure in watching Rik Mayall's hyper acting and laugh at it until my stomach hurt just like my parents.

Celebrities, comedians, friends and fans have all flooded websites and the news with their condolences and tributes. Here are a few:

@davidwalliams - I am heartbroken that my comedy idol growing Rik Mayall has died. He made me want to be a comedian..

@edgarwright - Shocked & saddened that a comedy hero is gone; for those who grew up on 'The Young Ones', Rik Mayall was one of the funniest performers ever.

@kevinbridges86 - Very sad news about Rik Mayall. Loads of great nights growing up watching 'The Young Ones' and 'Bottom' A funny, funny guy. Respect.

@thescript - R.I.P. Rik Mayall :( Can't believe that. A genius + inspiration, my fav comedian, I'm shocked 2 hear this 2day. Luv+Prayers 2 his family X G

And comedy actor @simonpegg simply tweeted this:

"R.I.K"

I am so sad that he has died but I know his comedic talent and crazy energy will never die and will never be forgotten.

R.I.P Rik Mayall.

Thankyou for reading.
Laura.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comments. They are appreciated so much, I am very grateful and I will reply to every single one whenever I can. x