Sunday 29 June 2014

Film Review: The Fault In Our Stars.

Movie poster featuring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort in character 
If you don't know already, this film was originally a novel by the incredible John Green. It is about a young sixteen year old cancer patient called Hazel Grace Lancaster who attends a support group and eventually meets and falls in love with a boy called Augustus Waters who has battled cancer himself, leaving him with one leg. This is their poignant, touching journey that won't leave one dry eye in the house.

This film adaptation was simply stunning and I don't think I can fault it at all. Shailene Woodley was amazing as Hazel with her taking-no-crap attitude over her terminal disease and I have pretty much fallen in love with the charming Ansel Elgort who portrayed the charismatic Augustus Waters. The film followed the book more or less perfectly with a few parts left out.. even though they weren't particular important scenes, you do feel a tad bit disappointed when scenes are left out as you want to see how they're played out just how you imagined them but I suppose they don't always have enough time to fit those types of parts in when they don't add anything to the storyline.

Having lost a relative to cancer myself, this film left me absolutely sobbing all of my makeup away for almost all of it. There were many moments where I had to literally hold my sobbing in because I didn't want to make a show of myself. It was beautifully acted and you felt the rawness, the emotion of not just Hazel and Augustus but their families and friends around them who all try to carry on in their daily lives while trying to come to terms with the fact their loved one will die of cancer. 

Apparently the director, Josh Boone, was quoted to have said "This story is Titanic.. and cancer is the iceberg we're going to hit eventually." And he was so right. 

I suggest taking alot of tissues with you to see this film! I hope you enjoyed my review and maybe leave a comment on what you thought of the film or what you thought of my review.

Thankyou for reading.
Laura.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie yet, everyone I talked to says it's a wonderful movie but cried the WHOLE TIME. I hate crying at the movies.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    xo jess
    www.stmurrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wouldn't suggest seeing it if you hate crying at films haha. But it is worth seeing, and it is definitely wonderful. Thankyou for stopping by on my blog too! :) x

      Delete

Thankyou for your comments. They are appreciated so much, I am very grateful and I will reply to every single one whenever I can. x