Saturday 3 May 2014

Film Review: Only Lovers Left Alive.

Only Lovers Lefts Alive Poster




I just recently watched this and I have to say I was sort of half disappointed but also half enjoyed it.

I am a big fan of Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton and John Hurt. But before I give you my review, I'll give you a little bit of background of the story:

It is a another vampire story but not one with sparkly men or werewolves falling in love with newborn babies... It's much more gothic and dark. It's directed by Jim Jarmusch. It's about two vampires, Adam (Tom Hiddleston) and Eve (Tilda Swinton) who are in love and have been for an eternity and it's about their love for each other. And they contrast each other so perfectly with Eve being the laidback, in-love-with-life-and-nature one whereas Adam is a tortured, suicidal romantic who feeds his emotions through music which sounds as mournful as he does. Eve's younger sister comes along and disrupts literally everything much to Adam's annoyance. His sassiness is too much when it comes to her, I love it. It's literally filmed completely at night in the streets of Detroit and Tangier which gives it a more softer, gothic element.

At times I did feel the film was a bit slow paced but I figured that was the whole point but I did get a little bit bored at times which was unfortunate as I was looking forward for so long to watch this film and alot of people hyped it up but whether that is because Tom Hiddleston was in it or they genuinely enjoyed it, which is of course is their opinion in their own right. I did love the film at times because the music flowed perfectly throughout each scene and it was a dark comedy at times which I loved.


“Life is about surviving things, appreciating nature, nurturing kindness and friendship.. and dancing.”

I particularly loved this scene where Eve forces Adam to dance with her. The music, the movements from the pair of them just melted into one perfect scene and the incredible acting from Hiddleston and Swinton make the love between Adam and Eve seem real and genuine and true.

So if you're a Tom Hiddleston fan, like myself, I do recommend this, his portrayal of such a flawed character is incredible. But even if you're not, I still think you should watch it because it's such a different kind of vampire film rather the ones we're used to. It really goes back to the gothic roots of the original vampire image/mythology and the real struggle they have to keep up with their blood intake. 

So I was half disappointed but perhaps I am just used to vampire films being action packed but I did love it at the same time but that's because of Mr Hiddleston I must admit and Tilda Swinton's divine beauty.

Thankyou for reading.
Laura.


Also enjoy these (parts I REALLY enjoyed) that should make you check out the film!



































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comments. They are appreciated so much, I am very grateful and I will reply to every single one whenever I can. x