Wednesday 9 September 2015

Film Review: Paper Towns (2015).

Hey everyone, I spontaneously went to see Paper Towns the other day and I thought I'd give you all a review of it. Perhaps it can help you see whether it's worth watching or not. 

The Background
Paper Towns was originally written by John Green in 2008 and became this mystery, comedy-drama film directed by Jake Schreier. It is about a young boy called Quentin (Nat Wolff) who falls in love with his neighbour Margo (Cara Delevingne) who moves in across the road from him. Margo recruits Quentin to help her prank her friends who had betrayed her. Margo mysteriously disappears the next day and Quentin feels it is his duty to go and find her. With a few friends of his; Ben (Austin Abrams), Marcus 'Radar' (Justice Smith), Angela (Jaz Sinclair) and Lacey (Halston Sage) they all set off on the mission to find Margo using the clues she's left Quentin. 

My Thoughts
I'm in a bit of a predicament here because I haven't had the chance of reading the book before seeing the film and I always like to read books before the film adaptations so I know what they've missed out and what they've done right/wrong etc. Clearly, Paper Towns was made in the wake of the huge hit The Fault In Our Stars (which I also reviewed here) and there is even a cameo from a certain star from that film too. However, I have to say this film was one of the most blandest, weirdest and most boring films I have ever watched. I just didn't.. get it.  

There was a huge buzz around Cara Delevingne being cast as Margo but this model turned actress just did not impress me one bit. I didn't feel like she was bad at acting either but she didn't stun me with anything else either. She plays some kind weird rebel who just disappears literally half an hour in and becomes some sort of cliché rather than a girl who actually thinks and feels things. Possibly the result of being written by a male, I think.

The film just plods along with Quentin running around with puppy dog, loved up eyes looking for clues and dragging his friends on some ridiculous road trip to find her. It's portrayed to be some sort of comedy film.. I did not laugh at all once. One of Quentin's sidekicks, Ben, is seemingly placed in the film to throw out these one liners and act like some player who sleeps with loads of girls. He was not funny one bit and in all honesty, made me cringe for pretty much all of the film. 

The ending of the film was even worse and just left you thinking, was there even a point in making this book into a film? I think the answer is no. Clearly, The Fault In Our Stars was a big hit with young, starry-eyed teenage girls who believe in all the stupid cliché's and quotes from these books which they plaster all over their Facebook and Twitter so they made Paper Towns with the same hope. I just thought the whole thing was boring and pointless. Perhaps the book has something more to it but the film hasn't left me wanting to read it right now.

Here's the trailer

Have you seen this? What did you think of it?
Thankyou for reading.
Laura.

28 comments:

  1. Great review. You save me from watching this on my bore days lol.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome haha, although some people did actually enjoy it unlike me. So you might find you'll enjoy it? It's up to you. Thanks for reading x

      Delete
    2. Well...my times is so limited, so I watch shows that comes highly recommend first. I still may give this a try if I have nothing to watch one day.

      Delete
  2. I went to watch this at a special screening a few weeks before it was released, absolutely loved it! Me and my friends still can't stop talking about it ;)

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough, some people will actually like it! Thanks for reading anyway x

      Delete
  3. Nice review! :)
    have nice day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this review, because I want to watch this film, now I know that it will be waste of the time :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see it so bad

    Please click on the link on my post
    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/2015/09/madeira-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know not to waste my time on this one :) thanks for your review!

    Wishes & Reality

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thx for this honest review, you save me from watching it, I wasn't sure if I would like it anyway, tho. Happy weekend,
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think it's not worth a watch at all, thanks for reading. Have a good weekend x

      Delete
  8. when i saw that trailer, i really wanted to see it! :D

    Have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really looking forward to seeing this film - in fact, maybe I will watch it this week!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been following the author on YouTube and heard about the book first, now with the movie I was thinking to watch it, but wasn't sure if I should go to the cinema for it) Great review!

    Tanya
    www.StripesNVibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was definitely disappointed with this movie as well. The Fault In Our Stars was much better in my opinion.


    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I had my worries about Cara, but I never read the book, so maybe that`s how the character is in there as well. However, I loved Nat Wolf in Stuck in Love and pretty much everything else he has been on, so I`ll probably see the movie for him.

    http://www.beautynerd.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your comments. They are appreciated so much, I am very grateful and I will reply to every single one whenever I can. x